Monday, April 12, 2010

Borgasmic

Hey everyone, I've been a bad blogger lately and I apologise. Here's some music things that I've been paying attention to lately.

Borland (myspace link and new-born twitter page link, you social network dah-lings) came in to Chorley FM (I should use this blog to promote my show more. Wednesdays 8 til 10) and did a very nice session on the Flat Iron Show.
These guys are fast becoming my favourite local band. Not just because they're gents or because interesting electronic music is quite rare in Manchester- most local bands opt for by the numbers dance- but because they are CRAZY productive. Last year they released their Octopop EP (available on iTunes, folks) which might just be my most-played EP since 'Sissy Hits' and then by December they had released House.

According to them, House has mistakes, technical faults and was written and recorded shockingly quickly, though part of me thinks that adds to the charm. When electronica mixes with live instrumentation their should be slight imperfections, it makes what could be faceless robotmusic feel warmer if you ask me.

And now apparently they have a trilogy of EPs AND an album due to come out soon. Not to mention an EP of live material. They have a constant stream of new material that veers from post-rock with glitch touches ("Sunday Sunshines" for examples), to full on synthesiser wailing ("Crystal Handshake") and it's all interesting. What's not to love? Let's hope where they lead, other artists in Manchester electro scene follow.

1 comment: